Answered By: Ro Ross Last Updated: Sep 28, 2020 Views: 344
Search for a book using either Orbis or Quicksearch. There are various searches that you can do, i.e, title, author, subject, keyword.
When you have found the book you are looking for, open up the record and:
- Check the call number of the book and make sure it is the same call number that you searched for.
- Check the location of the book and make sure you were searching in the proper library.
- Check the status of the item to make sure that the book is not checked out, in transit, or Missing/Lost.
- Check how the book is classified. Is it supposed to be in the Stacks or is it part of a special collection?
- Check to see if it the book is regular sized or oversized as these books may be shelved in different areas.
If you searched for the book in the proper location and still didn’t find it, try these steps:
- Check the entire shelf where the book should have been. It is possible it was slightly misshelved.
- Check the book trucks at the end of the aisles on the floor where the book should be shelved. These books are waiting to be shelved and are in order by call number.
- Visit the service desk in the library and ask for help. The staff there are happy to further assist you.
- Request for Staff Search and Delivery for the book. If possible, you may also request the book through Borrow Direct in case library staff determine that the book is missing.
In the example below, the book is in Sterling Memorial Library (SML) in the Stacks (the main collection), and the item is not checked out. This book should be on the shelf in SML.