Answered By: Tanya Allen
Last Updated: Jun 06, 2023     Views: 542

Q: Where can I find blueprints for Yale buildings?
Answered by: Tanya Allen

Architectural drawings for Yale buildings can be found in a variety of formats at Manuscripts and Archives (MSSA) in Sterling Memorial Library. Though very few of these have been scanned, any that have been can be found in the Manuscripts and Archives Digital Images Database (MADID).

If you are unable to find scanned images useful to your research needs through MADID, we recommend that you investigate the finding aids of the following collections to order the relevant physical drawings for access in the MSSA Reading Room.

RU 1, Architectural drawings and maps of Yale University buildings and grounds (

RU 2, Yale University buildings and grounds architectural documentation (  

Beyond this, MSSA holds collections pertaining to the architecture of specific Yale buildings, such as the records concerning the construction of the Irving S. Gilmore Music Library (RU 270,, or the records documenting the design and construction of Luce Hall (RU 708,, for example. MSSA additionally maintains dozens of collections of notable Yale-affiliated architects as well as many general resources on Yale’s built environment and its history.

Conducting research with architectural holdings can be a challenge. We encourage you to visit MSSA’s Cowles Reference Center (SML 147) to speak with a reference archivist about your project, or to write to the reference team at for aid at a distance.

Related Questions