Q. How do I request materials?
To request materials from a collection, select the request button at the top of the page:
After you click on the request button:
- You will be asked to log into your special collections account or to create an account if you are a new user.
- You will be taken to the request review page, where you should see the item listed, along with any other requests you may have placed in review.
- Check the box next to the item(s) you wish to request.
- Please note the “reading room” and “availability” columns, as they will indicate where the item can be viewed and when it can be made available for your use.
- Select your visitation date based on this information and press the submit request button to send the request to the repository. If you're unsure if you want to immediately order the box, you may leave the request in your queue. Doing so allows you to queue any number of requests without ordering them, important as most repositories allow you to order only ten items per visit.
Each repository has its own location, hours, and policies for providing access to its collections. Please consult the repository with questions about using the materials. Collections are non-circulating and must be used in the repository’s reading room. In many cases the collections are stored off-site and require advance notice for retrieval.
Please note that although the system allows requesting on the item level, you do not need to place multiple requests for items within the same box. For instance, if you want to view Beinecke YCAL MSS 42 Box 52 folders 1542-1547, you should place only a single request for Box 52.
Note that requesting is not enabled for the Peabody Museum of Natural History. To request a research visit to view Peabody materials, please contact the repository.